Polichrono is about 95km far from Thessaloniki on the eastern part of the Kassandra-peninsula on the place of the ancient town of Neapolis. The village was named after the colorful impression of the many flowers that characterized the landscape (abstracted linguistic meaning: 'many colors') permanently about 1050 people are living in this village.

During summer tourism is the main source of this village's income. Many cafes, restaurants, bars, shops, hotels and apartments are located on the well attended beach-promenade
Between the sea and the entire promenade is a 7km long and very clean sandy beach which is awarded every year with the blue flag. Due to the eastern location the area guarantees stunning sunrises.
During the off-season the inhabitants mainly deal with agriculture, olive-processing and the production of honey.
The center of the village is adorned by the church af Saint Athanasios (built in 1912), the patron of Polychrono. Little further on the square is the older church of 'Christ birth' of 1863.
Also an interesting place to visit is the old cemetery.


polychrono-mavrompara-lake-turtlesBefore the great fire of 2006, the village was entirely surrounded by pine forests that reached far into the countryside. Thanks of reforesting, the area is regenerating.
In the mountains near Polychrono at an altitude of 300m is the small lake Mavrobara. Because of its ecological relevance, this territory became a nature reserve area in 1997. This lake outlasted centuries and houses three different species of rare turtles. Researchers from many countries have are occupied with this biotope. In the immediate vicinity of the lake is a small natural source of drinking water.
During a trip to Marvobara it makes sense to pack also some bread to secure the company of the turtles. A beautifully landscape and a small chapel complete the idyllic impression.
Nearby the entry of Polychrono, still buried under the hills of the pine-forest is the acropolis the ancient city. In order to preserve the forest, wide archaeological excavations have not taken place.
During excavations in Polychrono a rare version of an Hellenic-roman sundial was discovered, able to display time and date.
According to assumptions the sundial was supposed to be positioned in a temple (mostlikely in the temple of 'Ammon Zeus').


The historic settlement in the area of Polychrono started about 650 BC with the establishment of the ancient city of Neapolis by colonists of Eretria. The city survived many barbarian invasions before it finally was destroyed by the Huns 540 AD.
In the 11th century AD it was rebuild by agricultural farmers and ranchers. Because of the colorful appearance of many flowers this place was named 'Polychro'.
During the revolution of 1821, the village was completely burned down by the Ottomans. Few years later the few survivors who managed to escape the persecution, returned to the place to rebuild the village. Due to changes in the linguistic style the original name now changed to Polychrono as it is still called today.



 Polychrono on the map




Cultural Association of Polychrono



 halkidiki polisitikos syllogos polychrono 1200x500