Athitos (also called: 'Afytos') is the third largest settlement on the isthmus of Potidea and exists on this location for over 3000 years.
Since ancient times not much has altered on the name of this place: Afiti, Afitis, Afitos (Αφύτη, Άφυτις, Άφυτος).
The term 'Athitos' has prevailed quite recently.
Thanks to its consequent traditional architecture Athitos is one of Halkidikies most famous places. The construction is controlled by architectural restrictions in order to preserve the classic character of the village.

The houses are constructed by local limestone as well as they get renovated with it.
During the summer-period music and cultural events are talking place continuously including Athitos own initiated and organized culture-festival. On lively squares and little abbeys a variety of local arts and crafts are offered. This impressions  are surrounded by traditional architecture. Hotels, café's bars and restaurants are perfectly embedded in complete harmony with the environment and provide locals as well as visitors with a symphony of lived culture-history.

Near center is a cliff-promenade from where you can enjoy the view of the Tornaios Bay, the second peninsula 'Sithonia' and the southern part of Kassandra. Bit further, next to the 'Koutomylos', on Afytos highest plateau you have a full panoramic impression over the rooftops of this ancient place.
athitos-koutsomylos-plateau-panoramaThe folklore museum of Afytos is central located in 'Altas House' (1889) is containing many exhibits related to the history of country & folks and supplies the interested visitor with profound background-knowledge about the area, culture and its development.
Especially remarkable for the characteristic are the many old stone houses, provided with inscriptions and reliefs, who define the cityscape of this place.
On a sightseeing-trip also the sources of Vrysitsa and Moudounou are worth being explored.
However the real attraction of this place is the totality of culture, classical architecture and natural beauty of a traditional settlement which looks back on a history of over 28 centuries.

During and after 1821 the city was well known for the heroes and victims related to the revolution.
After the riots many residents escaped from this village for distributing in various, saver areas. The refugees returned 1827 and Afytos became the largest village on Kassandra for many years and was architecturally very constructive in the middle of the 19th century.
In 1859, the three-aisled basilica, St. Dimitrios', the jewel of the village, was built in the middle of the square. The unique architecture of this temple, the old pictures and reliefs on the facade of the south wall should not be missing on the visitor's sightseeing-tour.
In the second half of the 19th century more large churches were built: St. George (1867), Assumption (1885), St. Athanasius and St. Nicholas (Liossi).


athitos-kassandra-halkidiki-greece-promenade-fullmoonAncient Afytos was an important city in Pallini whose fleet also has participated in the Persian wars and has been mentioned in scripts of many ancient writers (Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon, Aristotle, Pausanias, Strabo and others).
The sanctuary of Dionysus (8th Century BC) and the temple of Ammon Zeus (4th Century BC) were substantial factors for the consolidation of this town.
In the ancient world till the classical period Afytos was an established and very prosperous place which was stamping his own coins with the head of Ammon Zeus pictured on it.

Even before Afytos existed, prehistoric settlements of various Thracian and Pelasgian tribes extended in this area from 3000 BC on whole Halkidiki. Findings of ancient ruins from migrants Euboea, Chalkis and Eretria indicate on the existence of many small colonies throughout from the 8th century till 6th century in the whole area. During this era Afitos was founded.
The choice to establish the colony in this location might be motivated in the advantageous environment. Steep cliffs protect the settlement against attacks from the sea. Also a small bay, which existed until 1963, was used as a natural harbor and a save anchorage.
The construction of the sanctuary of Dionysus is chronologically linked with immigrants from the region of Evia and was highly relevant for the development of this city. The area was first mentioned by name in Xonophon's writings 'Helnica'. According to the scripts, the Lakedaimonic king Agesipolis suffered serious burns during the siege of Toroni 381 BC. He was transferred to the nearby temple of Dionysus, in the script described as 'a shady dwelling' and 'surrounded with shiny and cool waters'. Few days later the kind succumbed to the fever. His body was preserved for in a honey filled 'Pithari' (clay-jug) in which he was transported on his last journey back to Sparta, where he had his official funeral.
Aristotle described the local agricultural law as a unique and interesting chapter of the Greek financial history.